Plant-Based Po’Boy with Mirliton Slaw
A vegetarian take on the New Orleans tradition bursting with Southern flavor. Fresh-baked rolls, plant-based sausage, tart apple mirliton squash slaw—it doesn’t get much better!
- Servings: 4
- Ready in: 60 Minutes
- Ideal application: Main Dish
Southeastern Mills® Yeast Roll Mix, Hotter Than Hot Louisiana Brand® Original Hot Sauce, Better Than Bouillon® Sautéed Onion Base
House-made yeast rolls bring the experience to a new level, and a high-quality mix simplifies the back-of-house process. Grilling the sausage adds another layer of flavor you won’t get from a flattop, though you really can’t go wrong either way.
- 4 Beyond Meat Plant-Based Sausage Links
- 1 lbs Southeastern Mills® Yeast Roll Mix
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 oz yeast
- 2 mirliton, pits removed and julienned
- 1 green apple, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp plant-based mayo
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Hotter Than Hot Louisiana Brand® Original Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon® Sautéed Onion Base
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix water and yeast together and allow the yeast to bloom for about 10 minutes.
- Using a mixer with a dough attachment, add water and yeast mixture. Gradually add yeast roll mix and mix until well incorporated.
- Allow dough to sit and rest until dough has doubled in size.
- Place dough on counter and dust working surface lightly with flour. Divide the dough and roll and form into sausage length loafs.
- Lightly grease a sheet pan and place loaf onto pan.
- Place in oven and bake until golden brown.
- For the mirliton slaw, spread mirlitons over a dry paper towel and pat dry to remove some of the moisture.
- Combine mirlitons, green apples, bell pepper, jalapeño, green onions and cilantro.
- Using a separate bowl combine vinegar, oil, sugar, orange juice, Hotter Than Hot Louisiana Brand ® Original Hot Ssuce, plant-based mayo and sautéed onion base. Whisk together until well incorporated.
- Pour dressing over slaw and mix together. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Grill sausages on grill or hot plate.
- Cut bread loafs in half and lightly spread with olive oil. Toast on both sides.
- Lay sausage in the middle of bread and top with slaw and serve.
Meet the Chef
After graduating from the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute, Chef Nick worked as a line cook, caterer, head restaurant chef and eventually found his passion as an R&D chef. And he did so all over the place, from New York to St. Thomas to his home state of Louisiana.