Homemade Chicken Base
Chicken Base is an essential ingredient for soups, stews, gravies, sauces and more. If you find that your pantry is bare, make your chicken base with this yummy homemade recipe.
- Ready in: 6 - 8 Hours
- Ideal application: Main Dish, Appetizer
- 2 lbs raw chicken bones
- 1 bunch parsley stems
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp peppercorn, slightly crushed
- 4 cloves of garlic, slightly crushed
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 4 celery stalks, peeled and quartered
- Place the chicken bones on a baking pan and place in the oven at 350°F for 1 hour.
- In a large pot, add the chicken bones, make sure to scrape any juice off the baking pan and add that in too.
- In a cheesecloth add the parsley stems, bay leaves, peppercorn, and garlic. Add to the pot.
- Add the vegetables to the pot and cover with water.
- Bring the pot to a simmer; do not allow it to boil.
- Simmer for 6 to 8 hours.
- Strain the stock, removing bones and vegetables.
- Continue to simmer the leftover liquid until it has been reduced to half.
- Once the stock has been reduced to half, your base is ready to use.
Find out more about chicken base here.